Teaching Positions Eliminated While Raising Taxes
Back on April 21, 2015 the Bristol Herald Courier has reported that Bristol Virginia is a shortfall of $575,000 in school budget. The $25.7 million spending plan remains out of balance to quote the press but has to be finalized by July 1.
Yet the city of Bristol Virginia has been on a corporate welfare orgy since 2012 running up almost $100 million in debt to pay for retail development. As many as 10 teaching positions may be eliminated.
Washington County Virginia at the same time is reported to be facing a $301,000 funding gap in its school systems. This comes on the heels of approving $2-$3 million in corporate welfare for a retail development on Interstate 81 Exit 19.
The Washington County school board is requesting $28.8 million for 2016. Even after targeting a half-million dollars in cuts they are still short on funding. Much of these funding increases hinge on a 1.5% increase in pay for "certain positions." In other words like Sullivan County it's exploding administrative costs.
In other words Walmart workers are being taxed for pay hikes benefiting higher paid professionals.
On July 15, 2015 the Bristol Herald Courier is reporting a 25% wheel tax increase by the Washington County Board of Supervisors. Supposed to be netting $250,000 they claim some of it will be used to help emergency services, but didn't specify were most of it was really going.
Let's see that $3 million corporate welfare bill for government funded retail to compete against legitimate private sector retail would more than pay for the wheel tax increase and the school budget. In our community corporate welfare always comes first.
Bristol Virginia and Washington County the best political corruption your tax dollars can buy.
- News updates May 2016
- Bristol Virginia Washington County loses 362 jobs May 2016
- Massive Debt Leaves Bristol Virginia Near Panic
- Green Energy Boondoggle in Bristol Virginia
- More Replacement Call Center Jobs for Scott County Virginia - Ultimately
- Bristol Residents Paying $650,000 for Cabela's Fake Waterfall
- Bristol Virginia to Raise Taxes Layoff Workers Over Corporate Welfare
- $30,000 Public Funds Wasted in Washington County Virginia
- Gov. McAuliffe Claims New Jobs in Smyth County - Not Really
- Bristol Virginia Utilities Culture of Corruption
- Another $157,000 in Grants to be Wasted on Tourism
- Virginia Politicians Waste Another $10,000 on Failed Movie
- Tri-Cities Jobs Report Summer 2015
- Gov. McAuliffe Another Porkbarrel King
- Teaching Positions Eliminated While Raising Taxes
- Washington County Virginia Loses 300 Jobs
- Washington County Virginia Replacement Jobs
- No Corporate Welfare for Cootie Brown's Bristol Tennessee
- White's Mill still Waste of Tax Dollars
- Bristol Virginia Residents Nailed for Higher Taxes and Fees
- Bristol Compressors More Corporate Welfare?
- Lt. Gov. Ron Ramsey Stabs Consumers In the Back
- Virginia Tourism Low Wage Jobs
- Blogging sites (this one) in the news
- Why the public should be angry about Bristol Compressors
- Responses to Ed Barlow of Creating the Future
- Clear Creek Mobile Home Park Travesty
- Bulldozing Clear Creek Mobile Home Park
- Local activist working to help displaced trailer park residents
- Study Says White Families' Wealth Advantage Has Grown
- Ages of Gaia, Science, and Environmental Religion
- How Bacteria Created Natural Nuclear Fission
- Michael Crichton Speech - Environmentalism as Religion
- Science Facts Debunks Michael "Hockey Stick" Mann
- Environmentalism as Religion by Michael Fumento
- Environmentalism's Fear-Loathing of Technology
- How Ecological Homeostasis and Hysteresis Regulate Climate
- Origins of the Moon and Life on Earth
- Great Dying Mystery and the End of the Dinosaurs
- Virginia Congressman Confronts Climate Scientists