Another $157,000 in Grants to be Wasted on Tourism
The Triad of government grant waste over the last 10 years has been fiber optic, green energy, and tourism. Those with political connections setup non-profits in order for politicians to funnel them states grants. They funnel tourism grants amounting to millions over the years creating a local grant farming industry which raised legal questions.
Former AG Ken Cuccinelli called this into question as illegal in a Virginia Tobacco Commission audit - the State constitution forbids public dollars going to non-profits over earlier corruption issues - nobody follows the laws anyway. Led mainly by Republicans who are the worse abusers they have blocked reforms at the Commission and other agencies.
The following will be awarded to those almost entirely funded by public dollars and have produced no known public benefit or at least nothing anyone can measure. They have also refused my requests for their IRS paperwork:
Bristol Convention and Visitors Bureau's Uniquely Bristol Marketing Initiative will receive $50,000, Virginia Highlands Festival's Paint the Town will receive $9,424.50, Abingdon Convention and Visitors Bureau's Public Relations and Native Advertising Campaign will receive $25,000, Birthplace of Country Music's Unbroken Circle Marketing Initiative will receive $50,000 and The Crooked Road's Mountains of Music Homecoming - New Audiences will receive $25,000.
Note these are clustered in Abingdon the wealthiest community in the region due to a high concentration of retirees and state agencies. Abingdon is also the home of a $18 million Ref. BHC March 7, 2016.
As a final note corrupt Republicans threw the governors race and election for Ken Cuccinelli because of his questioning of this kind of corruption in addition to their hatred of the Tea Party. Democrat Terry McAuliffe is more acceptable to the Virginia GOP and Chamber of Commerce as someone they can work with. Speaking of the same old nonsense...
- News updates May 2016
- Bristol Virginia Washington County loses 362 jobs May 2016
- Massive Debt Leaves Bristol Virginia Near Panic
- Green Energy Boondoggle in Bristol Virginia
- More Replacement Call Center Jobs for Scott County Virginia - Ultimately
- Bristol Residents Paying $650,000 for Cabela's Fake Waterfall
- Bristol Virginia to Raise Taxes Layoff Workers Over Corporate Welfare
- $30,000 Public Funds Wasted in Washington County Virginia
- Gov. McAuliffe Claims New Jobs in Smyth County - Not Really
- Bristol Virginia Utilities Culture of Corruption
- Another $157,000 in Grants to be Wasted on Tourism
- Virginia Politicians Waste Another $10,000 on Failed Movie
- Summer 2015
- Tri-Cities Jobs Report Summer 2015
- Gov. McAuliffe Another Porkbarrel King
- Teaching Positions Eliminated While Raising Taxes
- Washington County Virginia Loses 300 Jobs
- Washington County Virginia Replacement Jobs
- No Corporate Welfare for Cootie Brown's Bristol Tennessee
- White's Mill still Waste of Tax Dollars
- Bristol Virginia Residents Nailed for Higher Taxes and Fees
- Bristol Compressors More Corporate Welfare?
- Lt. Gov. Ron Ramsey Stabs Consumers In the Back
- Virginia Tourism Low Wage Jobs
Last is most recent.
Local Crime 1 Local Crime 2
Local Crime 3 Local Crime 4
- Bristol Spends Millions for Jobs - Gets Nothing
- Raise Minimum Wage in Bristol
- Crime is Up Across Wise County Virginia
- 58 Meth Convections Illustrate Problem in Tri-Cities
- Jails and New Laws Won't Stop Meth Epidemic
- Tobacco Commission Failure Once Again in 2014
- Tri-Cities Unemployment Up 2013-2014
- Crony Capitalism and the Government Loop
- Bristol VA-TN Government waste 2013
- Disability the Hidden Unemployment Program
- Steel Company Jumps County Line for Government Handouts
- Poverty and Guns Doesn't Equal Gun Crime
- CityMac Another Taxpayer Fiasco
- Layoffs Corporate Welfare at Eastman Chemical
- We Don't Hire People with College
- Single Parent Problem in Southwest Virginia
- Even Blacks Consider Blacks more Racist than Whites