Green Energy Boondoggle in Bristol Virginia
The SW. Virginia Energy Center in Bristol Virginia is another example of the massive waste at the Virginia Tobacco Commission. As one of five other centers built in Southwest Virginia and Southside Virginia the facility sits essentially empty two years after its construction. Costing at least $8 million some reports claim the facility is for sale for $2.5 million.
This is a small part starting in the years 2009-10 of an ill advised speculative effort to cash in on green energy. Since that time energy prices have plummeted and the hoped-for diversion of government grants has dried up. Local press reports are totally confused as to the purpose of this eyesore. It's another type of small business incubator like those that have failed in Abingdon Virginia and Duffield Virginia. The latter two facilities completely failed in their intended purposes and ended up as rented out office space for existing agencies and nonprofits.
This worthless facility is owned by the Virginia Higher Education Center in Abington. To quote Duffy Carmack, "Our timing wasn't exactly wonderful. When we got the building built, the bottom fell out of the coal market so some of the potential candidates we hope will occupy the building were no longer available."
Reference: Bristol Herald Courier April 10, 2016.
The concept from its inception simply makes no sense. The success of hydraulic fracturing for oil and gas production has made green energy and the silly porkbarrel research often associated with it a running joke. Economic developers at the state and federal level have been wanting to shut down the coal industry for some time, so why would we build a facility to do research on coal? To quote the babble from TIC original documents on this:
"We seek and encourage innovations in both conventional and alternative energy. We generate deal flow by maintaining contacts with industry, academia and other referral sources, and by keeping our eyes and ears open. During due diligence review we look for strong business models that are understandable, profit-driven, and not dependent on long-term government subsidies. Ideally the opportunities will be synergistic with existing southwest Virginia natural, institutional, and human resources...
CERD's home is the 14,000 square foot Energy Field Lab being built in Washington County, VA. The building's design incorporates many sustainable features including geothermal, passive solar and rain water collection. We will measure building energy consumption and generation, and display the data on screens in the building and on our website. Space is available for academic and industrial energy-related research."
In other words, "build it and they will come". Since opening June 2014 this boondoggle was dedicated to "facilitating energy-related research that could be commercialized and lead to jobs in the region." When I visited the facility I found only one job that had been created-it was the guy mowing the grass.
Occupants of the facility include a state agency and another person doing software development. These are not permanent tenants, they rent office space by the week or month. While I was there the Bristol Virginia Utilities truck came and went. The large numbers of solar panels allows excess electricity to be sold back to the utility for $1200 a month. This whopping profit from this empty mausoleum doesn't even pay to cut the grass.
- News updates May 2016
- Bristol Virginia Washington County loses 362 jobs May 2016
- Massive Debt Leaves Bristol Virginia Near Panic
- Green Energy Boondoggle in Bristol Virginia
- More Replacement Call Center Jobs for Scott County Virginia - Ultimately
- Bristol Residents Paying $650,000 for Cabela's Fake Waterfall
- Bristol Virginia to Raise Taxes Layoff Workers Over Corporate Welfare
- $30,000 Public Funds Wasted in Washington County Virginia
- Gov. McAuliffe Claims New Jobs in Smyth County - Not Really
- Bristol Virginia Utilities Culture of Corruption
- Another $157,000 in Grants to be Wasted on Tourism
- Virginia Politicians Waste Another $10,000 on Failed Movie
- Summer 2015
- Tri-Cities Jobs Report Summer 2015
- Gov. McAuliffe Another Porkbarrel King
- Teaching Positions Eliminated While Raising Taxes
- Washington County Virginia Loses 300 Jobs
- Washington County Virginia Replacement Jobs
- No Corporate Welfare for Cootie Brown's Bristol Tennessee
- White's Mill still Waste of Tax Dollars
- Bristol Virginia Residents Nailed for Higher Taxes and Fees
- Bristol Compressors More Corporate Welfare?
- Lt. Gov. Ron Ramsey Stabs Consumers In the Back
- Virginia Tourism Low Wage Jobs
Last is most recent.
Local Crime 1 Local Crime 2
Local Crime 3 Local Crime 4
- Bristol Spends Millions for Jobs - Gets Nothing
- Raise Minimum Wage in Bristol
- Crime is Up Across Wise County Virginia
- 58 Meth Convections Illustrate Problem in Tri-Cities
- Jails and New Laws Won't Stop Meth Epidemic
- Tobacco Commission Failure Once Again in 2014
- Tri-Cities Unemployment Up 2013-2014
- Crony Capitalism and the Government Loop
- Bristol VA-TN Government waste 2013
- Disability the Hidden Unemployment Program
- Steel Company Jumps County Line for Government Handouts
- Poverty and Guns Doesn't Equal Gun Crime
- CityMac Another Taxpayer Fiasco
- Layoffs Corporate Welfare at Eastman Chemical
- We Don't Hire People with College
- Single Parent Problem in Southwest Virginia
- Even Blacks Consider Blacks more Racist than Whites