Bristol Virginia Residents Face Higher Taxes-Fees
Bristol Herald Courier June 28, 2015: Bristol Virginia residents will see their cost of living skyrocket by more than $350 compared to last year. The city has been on an orgy of corporate welfare and public giveaways to their friends and private businesses - now the bill is coming due.
For years residents were told these development projects would create jobs and boost tax revenues yet the only increases we see are seeing are the cost of services and property taxes.
Bristol Virginia Utilities that's presently seeing three of its executives going to prison and the former CEO Wes Rosenbaum slinking away in the night are claiming the average homeowner will be seeing an average increase in cost of $280.
In the past BVU has used public dollars to underwrite music concerts ($200,000) and given away $350,000 in free stuff to help underwrite the Cabela's (Falls) strip mall development and $10,000 to a music program.
Bristol Virginia a town of 17,800 has a per capita income of under $20,000 and a median household income of $32,000. Two-thirds of its children live at or below the poverty level and is home to 11 public housing projects.
The city is already $98 million in debt that will cost $5.3 million to service. That is a $360,000 increase over last year most of it driven by borrowing to underwrite private business development. Of that $98 million total $46 million has been borrowed since 2012 to underwrite The Falls strip mall development on Lee Highway.
If I'm not mistaken the Virginia Tobacco Commission misused $5 million as an outright cash gift to the project.
Another $1.5 million according to press reports was added for road improvements for the project. Those totals don't include $33.8 million in revenue debt connected to the project. After years of delays they hope Cabela's will finally open in Fall 2015.
The city is hoping for $3.17 million in new tax revenues from the project. The problem is an impending fight with Washington County Virginia. Part of the new jobs being created was moving the local Lowe's a mile down the road from Washington County to Bristol Virginia. It has been announced that Cabela's will only generate about 150 mostly part-time and seasonal jobs.
Tri-Cities Bristol Virginia Tennessee have the best government corruption your tax dollars can buy.
- News updates May 2016
- Bristol Virginia Washington County loses 362 jobs May 2016
- Massive Debt Leaves Bristol Virginia Near Panic
- Green Energy Boondoggle in Bristol Virginia
- More Replacement Call Center Jobs for Scott County Virginia - Ultimately
- Bristol Residents Paying $650,000 for Cabela's Fake Waterfall
- Bristol Virginia to Raise Taxes Layoff Workers Over Corporate Welfare
- $30,000 Public Funds Wasted in Washington County Virginia
- Gov. McAuliffe Claims New Jobs in Smyth County - Not Really
- Bristol Virginia Utilities Culture of Corruption
- Another $157,000 in Grants to be Wasted on Tourism
- Virginia Politicians Waste Another $10,000 on Failed Movie
- Tri-Cities Jobs Report Summer 2015
- Gov. McAuliffe Another Porkbarrel King
- Teaching Positions Eliminated While Raising Taxes
- Washington County Virginia Loses 300 Jobs
- Washington County Virginia Replacement Jobs
- No Corporate Welfare for Cootie Brown's Bristol Tennessee
- White's Mill still Waste of Tax Dollars
- Bristol Virginia Residents Nailed for Higher Taxes and Fees
- Bristol Compressors More Corporate Welfare?
- Lt. Gov. Ron Ramsey Stabs Consumers In the Back
- Virginia Tourism Low Wage Jobs
- Blogging sites (this one) in the news
- Why the public should be angry about Bristol Compressors
- Responses to Ed Barlow of Creating the Future
- Clear Creek Mobile Home Park Travesty
- Bulldozing Clear Creek Mobile Home Park
- Local activist working to help displaced trailer park residents
- Study Says White Families' Wealth Advantage Has Grown
- Bristol Loses Another 185 Jobs State Workers in Poverty
- Will Bristol Virginia become a toxic waste dump with Nulife Glass?
- Job Market Continues to Implode in Tri-Cities Bristol in 2015
- Crime by Race in Virginia 2012
- Raising Taxes to Pay Police While Looting Public Funds
- Bristol-Southwest Virginia Lost Another 2800 Residents Since 2010
- Tax Break for Stupid Country Music Museum Schools Go Without
- The demise of the Virginia coal industry
- What about some solutions for Southwest Virginia?
- Social Breakdown in Tri-Cities Virginia Tennessee
- Republicans push corporate welfare for the coal industry
- Youth unemployment in Bristol Tri-cities continues to explode
- Oikophobia and Other Mental Disorders of Liberals
- How Government Exported Black Crime into Ferguson Missouri
- St. Louis Black Youth Gunshot Death Rate
- Crime Rates by Race in Missouri
- When a Violent Thug Becomes a Victim of Racism
- Ages of Gaia, Science, and Environmental Religion
- How Bacteria Created Natural Nuclear Fission
- Michael Crichton Speech - Environmentalism as Religion
- Science Facts Debunks Michael "Hockey Stick" Mann
- Environmentalism as Religion by Michael Fumento
- Environmentalism's Fear-Loathing of Technology
- How Ecological Homeostasis and Hysteresis Regulate Climate
- Origins of the Moon and Life on Earth
- Great Dying Mystery and the End of the Dinosaurs
- Virginia Congressman Confronts Climate Scientists