Bristol Virginia to Raising Taxes Over Corporate Welfare
The Bristol Herald Courier is reporting large tax increases and layoffs Bristol. The 2016-17 budget was $4 million in the red. This is resulting in the loss of another 9 jobs along with property tax increases, etc. Quoting Mayor Archie Bunker, oh I meant Hubbard says, "...it's going to require property tax increases - it's a fact of life if you want the services."
Most controversial is firing of two courthouse security officers. Sheriff Weisenburg wants the $90,000 restored claiming 26,000 people passed through courthouse checkpoint. Mayor Archie shot back, "Paying two people to just do the checkpoint doesn't make any sense." The police did get additional State funding.
Just what are these services everyone wants? This is the same idiots that gave $25,000 to the owner of an ice cream shop as an incentive package and will spend another $300,000 for road work at The Falls. The City is awash in corporate welfare corruption including around $1 million for a downtown hotel project. This has led to the City credit ratings in free fall.
Poverty level of children in Bristol, VA., among worst in the state
One out of every three city children lives below the poverty level - a figure that ranks among the worst in Virginia, a new report shows. Nearly 34 percent of children in Bristol, VA., live in a household where the median income is below $22,000, according to a report released Monday by Voices for Virginia's Children. ... Buchanan and Lee counties also rank among the state's highest child poverty rates at 34.9 percent and 33.1 percent, respectively. Washington County, VA., had the region's lowest child poverty rate at 19.3 percent.
The city experienced a nearly 5 percent increase in its child poverty rate since 2007. Across the Mountain Empire, the average increase was about 2 percent, with Smyth County reporting the largest increase at 6.2 percent. Dickenson, Russell and Wise counties recorded modest declines between 2007 and 2010. (Note that during that time they suffered large population drops in particular among young families with children.)
Quoting Bristol school official:
"Sixty-two percent of our students are on free and reduced lunch. But when you talk about Bristol city schools, we're trying to provide a conduit to help them attain a better life through education and a better chance. We work on this every day - every single day."
Ref. David Mcgee January 17, 2012.
- News updates May 2016
- Bristol Virginia Washington County loses 362 jobs May 2016
- Massive Debt Leaves Bristol Virginia Near Panic
- Green Energy Boondoggle in Bristol Virginia
- More Replacement Call Center Jobs for Scott County Virginia - Ultimately
- Bristol Residents Paying $650,000 for Cabela's Fake Waterfall
- Bristol Virginia to Raise Taxes Layoff Workers Over Corporate Welfare
- $30,000 Public Funds Wasted in Washington County Virginia
- Gov. McAuliffe Claims New Jobs in Smyth County - Not Really
- Bristol Virginia Utilities Culture of Corruption
- Another $157,000 in Grants to be Wasted on Tourism
- Virginia Politicians Waste Another $10,000 on Failed Movie
- Summer 2015
- Tri-Cities Jobs Report Summer 2015
- Gov. McAuliffe Another Porkbarrel King
- Teaching Positions Eliminated While Raising Taxes
- Washington County Virginia Loses 300 Jobs
- Washington County Virginia Replacement Jobs
- No Corporate Welfare for Cootie Brown's Bristol Tennessee
- White's Mill still Waste of Tax Dollars
- Bristol Virginia Residents Nailed for Higher Taxes and Fees
- Bristol Compressors More Corporate Welfare?
- Lt. Gov. Ron Ramsey Stabs Consumers In the Back
- Virginia Tourism Low Wage Jobs
Last is most recent.
Local Crime 1 Local Crime 2
Local Crime 3 Local Crime 4
- Bristol Spends Millions for Jobs - Gets Nothing
- Raise Minimum Wage in Bristol
- Crime is Up Across Wise County Virginia
- 58 Meth Convections Illustrate Problem in Tri-Cities
- Jails and New Laws Won't Stop Meth Epidemic
- Tobacco Commission Failure Once Again in 2014
- Tri-Cities Unemployment Up 2013-2014
- Crony Capitalism and the Government Loop
- Bristol VA-TN Government waste 2013
- Disability the Hidden Unemployment Program
- Steel Company Jumps County Line for Government Handouts
- Poverty and Guns Doesn't Equal Gun Crime
- CityMac Another Taxpayer Fiasco
- Layoffs Corporate Welfare at Eastman Chemical
- We Don't Hire People with College
- Single Parent Problem in Southwest Virginia
- Even Blacks Consider Blacks more Racist than Whites