More Replacement Jobs for Scott County Virginia - Ultimately
Related see: Congressman Boucher's Failed Call Center Legacy
We have a saying around here, "If you don't like your job then wait around and get laid off anyway." The Pioneer Center in Duffield cost millions and was setup at public expense to house a call center a few years ago. "125 new jobs" proclaimed local economic developers - it closed soon after.
It was something called Results Network - today the Pioneer is rented out as general office space something the private sector could have supplied. I stopped by the Pioneer Center and the door had nothing about any call center on the occupant plaque.
The same people are exited about another call center to replace the jobs that went away in Duffield. They say "ultimately" 300 jobs - in the past these "announcements" have proven exaggerated. Something called TeleTech Holdings, Inc. which according to Virginia Tobacco Regional Revitalization Commission Chairman and State Del. Terry Kilgore, R-Gate City. He was behind the Pioneer Center fiasco says,
"This is (TeleTech's) first location in the Commonwealth of Virginia. They are a global provider of customer experience, engagement and growth solutions and they have over 40,000 employees worldwide...We wouldn't be here today if the county had not invested (in) and purchased that property"
Turned out the Teletech is another Sykes constantly moving, firing their employees, then collecting incentives and cheaper labor from the next sucker community.
This announcement was in 2015 and county official claim these jobs pay about $12 an hour.
Note that minimum wage in 1970 was $1.60 adjusted for inflation is $10.46 in 2018. That is what I call adjusted minimum wage. Under the leader of Mr. Kilgore and friends from 2010 to 2018 Scott County population fell 7.1% and has an 18% poverty rate.
That property is in Weber City this time and I assume the free land, infrastructure, and $745,000 cash gifts from taxpayers is the exact same nonsense with the Pioneer Center. As of Sunday May 15, 2016 ground has barely been broken. The location is along US 23 next to the Holston River. So we have to pay again for "ultimately" 300 jobs I'll bet never materialize. What's that saying about doing the same thing over and over expecting differing results?
Additional costs to the public includes, "Funding and services to support the company's employee training activities will be provided through the Virginia Jobs Investment Program, administered by VEDP."
But get this quote, "Officials estimate the pay for the TeleTech jobs, which include benefits, will, on average, exceed $12.50 per hour." Don't they actually know? They spend millions to buy jobs, but don't really know much about the jobs or how many? They will be housed at the Pioneer Center, which will cost a bundle to refurbish, while the new building in Weber City is under construction. Why not just leave them at the Pioneer Center?
For more information about careers at TeleTech, visit http://www.teletechjobs.com/. Also ask them about the almost 200 people they fired in 2014 and about their annual pay rate at $14,000 to $23,000.
Seven months after the announcement nothing has come of this. I'll check back once in a while.
Ref. October 21, 2015 Kingsport Times News;
Mr. Kilgore by the way runs the Virginia Tobacco Commission and has faced a storm of controversy in the past.
Their 2011 Blue Ribbon audit revealed 89 percent of their grants have never been accounted for. Millions wasted on a wholesale plant nursery in Gretna VA to make bio-fuels and a horse camp in Scott County are typical examples.
- News updates May 2016
- Bristol Virginia Washington County loses 362 jobs May 2016
- Massive Debt Leaves Bristol Virginia Near Panic
- Green Energy Boondoggle in Bristol Virginia
- More Replacement Call Center Jobs for Scott County Virginia - Ultimately
- Bristol Residents Paying $650,000 for Cabela's Fake Waterfall
- Bristol Virginia to Raise Taxes Layoff Workers Over Corporate Welfare
- $30,000 Public Funds Wasted in Washington County Virginia
- Gov. McAuliffe Claims New Jobs in Smyth County - Not Really
- Bristol Virginia Utilities Culture of Corruption
- Another $157,000 in Grants to be Wasted on Tourism
- Virginia Politicians Waste Another $10,000 on Failed Movie
- Summer 2015
- Tri-Cities Jobs Report Summer 2015
- Gov. McAuliffe Another Porkbarrel King
- Teaching Positions Eliminated While Raising Taxes
- Washington County Virginia Loses 300 Jobs
- Washington County Virginia Replacement Jobs
- No Corporate Welfare for Cootie Brown's Bristol Tennessee
- White's Mill still Waste of Tax Dollars
- Bristol Virginia Residents Nailed for Higher Taxes and Fees
- Bristol Compressors More Corporate Welfare?
- Lt. Gov. Ron Ramsey Stabs Consumers In the Back
- Virginia Tourism Low Wage Jobs
- Bristol Spends Millions for Jobs - Gets Nothing
- Raise Minimum Wage in Bristol
- Crime is Up Across Wise County Virginia
- 58 Meth Convections Illustrate Problem in Tri-Cities
- Jails and New Laws Won't Stop Meth Epidemic
- Tobacco Commission Failure Once Again in 2014
- Tri-Cities Unemployment Up 2013-2014
- Crony Capitalism and the Government Loop
- Bristol VA-TN Government waste 2013
- Disability the Hidden Unemployment Program
- Steel Company Jumps County Line for Government Handouts
- Poverty and Guns Doesn't Equal Gun Crime
- CityMac Another Taxpayer Fiasco
- Layoffs Corporate Welfare at Eastman Chemical
- We Don't Hire People with College
- Single Parent Problem in Southwest Virginia
- Even Blacks Consider Blacks more Racist than Whites
Quick navigation of my homepage:
- Electronics Hobby Projects What's New?
- Assorted Essays on Religion
- Deism and Reason
- Judaism History
- Christianity and History