Massive Debt Leaves Bristol Virginia Near Panic
How the Fall's development is affecting Bristol Virginia's debt problems screams one headline. Local press reports once again are raising the alarm of increasing problems with Bristol Virginia's debt. Much of this debt was incurred underwriting a Cabela's shopping mall.
"More than $70 million will be payable within the next 10 years, including the entire $47 million are owed for the Falls. Combined general fund, solid waste, and school debt payments are to exceed $86 million between fiscal 2019-20 and fiscal 2024-25 in fees, interest, and related cost according to the city's new budget document."
Bristol Virginia politicians are in a near panic saying they need to refinance this massive debt over a longer period like 30 years. The closing of the Bristol Mall and stiff competition from the Pinnacle development in Bristol Tennessee is bleeding city tax coffers. Compound this with jobs reductions at two local manufacturing plants. Their latest budget calls for tax increases and cuts to services. One report has the Bristol Virginia Fire Department threatening to go on strike due to budget cuts.
This is the same city that gave away $25,000 as an incentive to an ice cream shop to locate downtown. That is typical of the culture of corruption and corporate welfare that befuddles our community.
Compounding problems for Bristol is a $300,000 payment to Washington County Virginia to compensate for luring Lowe's Home Improvement to move 1.5 miles down the road to The Falls. Bristol Virginia proclaims this as new jobs. Sure, right. Reference: Bristol Herald Courier May 17, 2016.
- News updates May 2016
- Bristol Virginia Washington County loses 362 jobs May 2016
- Massive Debt Leaves Bristol Virginia Near Panic
- Green Energy Boondoggle in Bristol Virginia
- More Replacement Call Center Jobs for Scott County Virginia - Ultimately
- Bristol Residents Paying $650,000 for Cabela's Fake Waterfall
- Bristol Virginia to Raise Taxes Layoff Workers Over Corporate Welfare
- $30,000 Public Funds Wasted in Washington County Virginia
- Gov. McAuliffe Claims New Jobs in Smyth County - Not Really
- Bristol Virginia Utilities Culture of Corruption
- Another $157,000 in Grants to be Wasted on Tourism
- Virginia Politicians Waste Another $10,000 on Failed Movie
- Summer 2015
- Tri-Cities Jobs Report Summer 2015
- Gov. McAuliffe Another Porkbarrel King
- Teaching Positions Eliminated While Raising Taxes
- Washington County Virginia Loses 300 Jobs
- Washington County Virginia Replacement Jobs
- No Corporate Welfare for Cootie Brown's Bristol Tennessee
- White's Mill still Waste of Tax Dollars
- Bristol Virginia Residents Nailed for Higher Taxes and Fees
- Bristol Compressors More Corporate Welfare?
- Lt. Gov. Ron Ramsey Stabs Consumers In the Back
- Virginia Tourism Low Wage Jobs
Last is most recent.
Local Crime 1 Local Crime 2
Local Crime 3 Local Crime 4
- Bristol Spends Millions for Jobs - Gets Nothing
- Raise Minimum Wage in Bristol
- Crime is Up Across Wise County Virginia
- 58 Meth Convections Illustrate Problem in Tri-Cities
- Jails and New Laws Won't Stop Meth Epidemic
- Tobacco Commission Failure Once Again in 2014
- Tri-Cities Unemployment Up 2013-2014
- Crony Capitalism and the Government Loop
- Bristol VA-TN Government waste 2013
- Disability the Hidden Unemployment Program
- Steel Company Jumps County Line for Government Handouts
- Poverty and Guns Doesn't Equal Gun Crime
- CityMac Another Taxpayer Fiasco
- Layoffs Corporate Welfare at Eastman Chemical
- We Don't Hire People with College
- Single Parent Problem in Southwest Virginia
- Even Blacks Consider Blacks more Racist than Whites