Replacement Jobs for Washington County Virginia
There was a little bit of good news I suppose when Washington County announced the relocation of an Arizona firm to the Glade Springs area. Even the press called these "replacement" jobs for the earlier Gates Corporation fiasco that received a near identical corporate welfare package of this company for the promise of the same 140 jobs.
The jobs never really materialized never exceeding 100 and the firm pulled out in default on its incentive package obligations. This new deal seems near identical to the Gates Corporation deal who also was firing workers in other states and shifting the jobs here to reduce wages and collect public subsidies.
This is one of the big lies about Republican job creation or Democrats too for that matter. Case in point is Gov. Rick Perry of Texas who claimed zillions of new jobs that really weren't. Texas put out $20 billion in corporate welfare according to the New York Times, yet most of the jobs were jobs relocating from other states.
Not only did the company's cut wages to relocate to Texas, but the Center for Immigration Studies shows 87% of the jobs went to foreign-born workers.
So just like this new company that makes some kind of hand cleaner, a low end non-tech product, with the overall economy this can't be called new jobs when they fire workers in Arizona and simply shift to Virginia to collect public handouts and cut wages.
I predict this will be another repeat of Gates Corporation scam all too common under the guise of economic development today.
Then we have our friends at Bristol Compressors who after $2.65 million in corporate welfare with promises of new jobs instead fired 300, yet announced in April they might rehire 50. These too are counted as new jobs when in fact they are rehires. Simply moving jobs around or rehiring fired workers is not new jobs.
Here rehires and replacement jobs hardly put a dent in the overall loss of good jobs combined with continually falling wages. That's why our region continues despite millions in corporate welfare and central planning to rank with inner-city slums and Indian reservations in job creation, poverty, and lack of economic opportunity.
In 2011 Bristol-Tri-Cities was ranked number 5 in the 10 poorest cities in America by www.DailyFinance.com.
Ref. BHC July 30, 2015 and WJHL-Channel 11 October 2011.
- News updates May 2016
- Bristol Virginia Washington County loses 362 jobs May 2016
- Massive Debt Leaves Bristol Virginia Near Panic
- Green Energy Boondoggle in Bristol Virginia
- More Replacement Call Center Jobs for Scott County Virginia - Ultimately
- Bristol Residents Paying $650,000 for Cabela's Fake Waterfall
- Bristol Virginia to Raise Taxes Layoff Workers Over Corporate Welfare
- $30,000 Public Funds Wasted in Washington County Virginia
- Gov. McAuliffe Claims New Jobs in Smyth County - Not Really
- Bristol Virginia Utilities Culture of Corruption
- Another $157,000 in Grants to be Wasted on Tourism
- Virginia Politicians Waste Another $10,000 on Failed Movie
- Tri-Cities Jobs Report Summer 2015
- Gov. McAuliffe Another Porkbarrel King
- Teaching Positions Eliminated While Raising Taxes
- Washington County Virginia Loses 300 Jobs
- Washington County Virginia Replacement Jobs
- No Corporate Welfare for Cootie Brown's Bristol Tennessee
- White's Mill still Waste of Tax Dollars
- Bristol Virginia Residents Nailed for Higher Taxes and Fees
- Bristol Compressors More Corporate Welfare?
- Lt. Gov. Ron Ramsey Stabs Consumers In the Back
- Virginia Tourism Low Wage Jobs
- Blogging sites (this one) in the news
- Why the public should be angry about Bristol Compressors
- Responses to Ed Barlow of Creating the Future
- Clear Creek Mobile Home Park Travesty
- Bulldozing Clear Creek Mobile Home Park
- Local activist working to help displaced trailer park residents
- Study Says White Families' Wealth Advantage Has Grown
- Ages of Gaia, Science, and Environmental Religion
- How Bacteria Created Natural Nuclear Fission
- Michael Crichton Speech - Environmentalism as Religion
- Science Facts Debunks Michael "Hockey Stick" Mann
- Environmentalism as Religion by Michael Fumento
- Environmentalism's Fear-Loathing of Technology
- How Ecological Homeostasis and Hysteresis Regulate Climate
- Origins of the Moon and Life on Earth
- Great Dying Mystery and the End of the Dinosaurs
- Virginia Congressman Confronts Climate Scientists