Bristol-Southwest Virginia Lost Another 2800 Residents Since 2010
Posted April 17, 2015 by Lewis Loflin
The population of a majority of Mountain Empire localities declined during the past four years, according to a new study. Six Southwest Virginia counties and the city of Bristol, Virginia, saw populations decrease a combined 2,800 residents since the 2010 U.S. Census, while four counties and the city of Norton recorded modest gains totaling less than 500...
The city of Bristol and counties of Buchanan, Dickenson, Russell, Smyth, Tazewell and Wise all reported population declines. Bristol Virginia's population shrank by an estimated 145 to 17,690. Wise County lost 1200.
Bristol Mayor Catherine Brillhart says after squandering tens of millions over the years on failed economic development scams,
"Naturally, we'd rather see the numbers going up not down. To attract people, you need good education facilities and medical care, which we feel we have, but we need to do some work in the future on affordable housing."
How about some middle class jobs Cathy and not moving low-end retail jobs around? We already have 11 public housing projects and 70% of the kids are in poverty Cathy. One former mayor noted welfare payments was a big source of revenue for Bristol - still proud of that Cathy?
The report goes on the say mostly urban areas are gaining while rural areas continue to struggle. It's obvious efforts at reversing these trends across the state with corporate welfare riddled with political corruption have failed. We have plenty of infrastructure, etc. let's try dealing with human capital and the hostile job climate in the state.
Read the full story at http://www.tricities.com/news/article_7d6c6548-a6a4-11e4-8078-d37fe4a9b15b.html
Ref. January 27, 2015 Bristol herald Courier.
Web site Copyright Lewis Loflin, All rights reserved.
If using this material on another site, please provide a link back to my site.
- Web Master
- Tri-Cities VA-TN
- General Science
- Hobby Electronics
- US Constitution
- Christianity 101
- Religious Themes
- Also on Virginia Crime:
- Virginia Crime Roundup 2012
- Virginia Crime Roundup 2015
- Lakeem Scott and Press Incitement to Murder
- Fall of the Late Roman Empire
- End of the Vikings in Greenland
- Lost Colony of Roanoke Island
- Whale Fossils Show Ice Free Arctic
- Modern Humans Originate in Asia 80,000 Years Ago
- Hurricanes Versus Climate Change
- Dinosaur Extinction New Questions
- Massive Meteor Explosion Kills Stone Age America
- Mythical Flood or Meteor Strike?
- Useful Science Information on Climate Change Industry
- Climate Change Gravy Train on the Defensive
- Religion is Killing Children
- Science Proves Climate Change
- Posted 9/16/2022
- Why Do EPA Scientists Oppose Public Disclosure?
- Why Public Disclosure is a Right
- 84% of Americans Fear the Government for Good Reason
- Who are the Smartest Countries? Nobel Prizes Tell the Story
- Green Technology Highly Polluting, Environmentally Destructive