Opportunities Available Through Workforce Training
Posted: Monday, April 14, 2014
This is a follow up to my letter of last month, when I talked about the need to offer job training in our area, something we should be doing with tax dollars rather than wasting it on unsuccessful projects and grants that duplicate services.
The Virginia Highlands Community College workforce training program is offering a welding class for only $289! For the $8,000 the Washington County Board of Supervisors wasted on the "Center of Excellence," 27 students could have taken a welding class.
By the way, I have been an instructor in electricity/electronics and have been involved in training displaced workers.
To get more information on the welding class, visit the college website: www.vhcc.edu. The program is titled MIG and Flux Arc Welding, and is offered in partnership with the Washington County Career and Technical Education Center. The non-credit class runs through May 1 on Wednesdays and Thursday.
March 2014 Bristol Herald Courier:
Update - nothing came out of this as usual - Democrats were getting in on the backroom deals.
I'm praising Gov. McAuliffe's administration for investigating the Tobacco Commission. (BHC 2/26) It's about time. I strongly condemn the Washington County BOS for approving $8000 for the so-called "Center of Excellence." They've now wasted $363,000 that will produce nothing.
(Update - they spent the money and the consultants suggested more corporate welfare and free buildings.)
An almost identical program a few years ago wasted $2 million also produced nothing. Its former director stated, "business here doesn't care about your education, skills, or experience..." One HR manager stated "we don't hire people with college."
Tobacco Commission's 9-28-2011 minutes noted of 200 deals in the previous five years over 100 were in default. They don't even have a direct way to measure if any jobs were created!
Their 2011 Blue Ribbon audit revealed 89 percent of their grants have never been accounted for. Millions wasted on a wholesale plant nursery in Gretna VA to make bio-fuels and a horse camp in Scott County are typical examples.
Abingdon's Small Business incubator is a failure. Their $8 an hour call center jumped the state line for Tennessee corporate welfare.
Don't waste another $1 million duplicating existing services. We can already train welders, etc. if we can end the resistance to properly educating vocational workers. Stop pretending blue-collar workers don't need English, science, or math.
As a vocational instructor myself I know students with a proper educational background are easy to train or retrain. Technology training is more than putting the black wire under the brass-colored screw. Studies show industrial workers need a far higher level of education. Our social apartheid culture must deal with that.
I'm encouraging my fellow citizens to contact their supervisors to halt this useless project. Deal with our dysfunctional political and education system. No more corporate welfare for businesses that "don't hire people with college" and "don't care."
Notes: the small business incubator was paid for by ARC and Tobacco grants and often serves as discount office space for non-profit s seeking more government grants.
- Virginia's Illegal Alien Underground Labor Force
- Arizona Schools Struggle with Immigration Chaos
- How Mass Immigration Hurts Blacks Worker the Most
- President Obama and Silicon Valley Oligarchs Destroy Workers
- Rich White Democrats Screwing Millennials in New York City
- India's Visa Fraud Worker Replacement Racket
- Why All Illegal Aliens Must Be Deported
- Florida Schools Struggle with Failing Minority Students
- Intelligence, Crime, and Tampa Florida
- New York City Sanctions Immigration Fraud, Crime
- How Mass Immigration Hurts Black Workers the Most
- Red States Higher Standard of Living
- How Mass Immigration Leads to Poverty
- Yes European-American Culture is Superior - Get Over It
- Why Many People Shouldn't Get a 4-Year Degree
- Michigan Education System Ruined by Diversity Racism
- Violence on Indian Reservations
- Illegal Immigration Success in Arizona
- Biased Press Censors Minority and Leftwing Violence
- National Elite All White All Racists
- Defining Religion in American Politics 2016
- Pushing Back Against Political Correctness Censorship