Egypt-Muslim Brotherhood MP Seeks to Abolish Female Rights
by Raymond Ibrahim
April 26, 2012
According to the Egyptian website Youm 7, Azza al-Jarf, a female Member of Parliament representing the Muslim Brotherhood's "Freedom and Justice Party," is trying to abolish several laws currently enjoyed by Egyptian women-including preventing them from divorcing or even separating from their husbands, because "the man has the authority and stewardship" (see Koran 4:34); mandating that fathers must circumcise their daughters; and trying to get the Egyptian educational system to ban the teaching of the English language-on the grounds that it is an "infidel" tongue-while separating boys and girls in classrooms and forcing girls to wear the hijab.
Ms. Jarf, of course, is not the first Muslim female in Egypt opposed to her own gender; earlier, another female politician declared that "women are deficient in intelligence and religion," and that, in agreement with Sharia law, they are banned from running for presidency.
At any rate, repressive and discriminatory laws, not to mention laws that mutilate the human body-such represent the Muslim Brotherhood's idea of "Freedom and Justice," the telling name of their political wing.
Raymond Ibrahim is a Shillman Fellow at the David Horowitz Freedom Center and an Associate Fellow at the Middle East Forum.
This text may be reposted or forwarded so long as it is presented as an integral whole with complete information provided about its author, date, place of publication, and original URL.
- Rape-Terror-Murder of Christian Children in Islam
- Hindu versus Muslim Honor Killings
- Are we willing to die to save the past from Islam
- Islamists Calls to Destroy Egypt's Great Pyramids
- American Islamist Groups Shape Arab Revolutions
- Are Judaism and Christianity as Violent as Islam?
- Raymond Ibrahim before the U.S. House of Representatives
- Islamic Schoolyard-Bully and Obama's America
- Hearings on 'Radicalization' of White Christian Women
- Evil Muslim Brotherhood - Evidence Keeps Mounting
- Historical Reality of the Muslim Conquests
- When political correctness kills
- Muslim Persecution of Christians: March, 2012
- Egypt Abolish Female Rights Enforce Female Genital Mutilation
- Jihadist Roots of the Norway Massacre
- Egypt Islamists vs. Copts, An Animosity That Seeks Any Excuse to Attack
- Egyptian Election Islamist Victory or Deceptive Strategy?