Bristol Virginia Tri-Cities a Great Place to Retire
"It's a little-known fact that roughly 20 percent of the children in Southwest Virginia live below the poverty line and go hungry every night." Kevin Crutchfield, President Alpha Natural Resources, January 15, 2009
For years I've exposed dysfunctional government and high levels of poverty. Now I'll balance that with positive aspects of a community I've lived in over 30 years. I won't pull any punches or engage in political correctness. The positives I'll be expanding on:
Low levels of crime despite a drug addiction problem among the lower class. Low levels of "diversity" and illegal aliens both directly proportional to high violent crime rates. According to Virginia State Police data blacks/Hispanics account for 75% of the violent crime in the state. White population in general 90% white.
Low cost of living, good infrastructure, good roads, high speed fiber optic.
Mostly good healthcare, but doctor shortages due to high use of Medicaid, Medicare, and uninsured according to health officials I talked to - 75-80% of the population. We have one of the best Veterans Hospitals in the nation in Johnson City.
Low income levels are offset by a high home ownership rates (over 50%) and most other homes not under water. Housing prices are low relative to national averages. On the bad side too much public housing and its crime and social problems concentrated in Bristol Virginia. In 2012 Bristol Virginia had a crime rate higher than Virginia Beach and Charlottesville. This improved in 2015. Ref. 2012 & 2015 State Police Crime Statistics.
- Updated September 2017:
- Bristol, Southwest Virginia Revealed
- Bristol Virginia Tri-Cities a Great Place to Retire
- Residents Flee Bristol VA-TN
- Science & Technology
- 2017 Website Updates
- News updates May-June 2016
- Exploding Retail Sales Hiding Government Dependency in Bristol Virginia
- Wise Virginia Call Center Won't Hire 500 New Workers
- Why We Shouldn't Trust Bristol Virginia Utilities
- Bristol Virginia Washington County loses 362 jobs May 2016
- Massive Debt Leaves Bristol Virginia Near Panic
- Green Energy Boondoggle in Bristol Virginia
- More Replacement Call Center Jobs for Scott County Virginia - Ultimately
- Bristol Residents Paying $650,000 for Cabela's Fake Waterfall
- Bristol Virginia to Raise Taxes Layoff Workers Over Corporate Welfare
- $30,000 Public Funds Wasted in Washington County Virginia
- Gov. McAuliffe Claims New Jobs in Smyth County - Not Really
- Bristol Virginia Utilities Culture of Corruption
- Another $157,000 in Grants to be Wasted on Tourism
- Virginia Politicians Waste Another $10,000 on Failed Movie
- Liberty More Important Than Equality
- Disability the Hidden Unemployment Program
- Steel Company Jumps County Line for Government Handouts
- Poverty and Guns Doesn't Equal Gun Crime
- CityMac Another Taxpayer Fiasco
- Layoffs Corporate Welfare at Eastman Chemical
- We Don't Hire People with College
- Single Parent Problem in Southwest Virginia
- Local Leaders Complain to Senator Kaine - Ignore Workers
- Predominant Face of American Poor is White and Liberals Ignore It
- Proof Limiting Mass Immigration Helps the Working Poor
- Born Again Jobs and a Shrinking Tri-Cities Labor Force
- Prime Choice Foods Files for Bankruptcy in Bristol
- What 70 New Jobs at Columbus McKinnon?
- Another 100 Jobs Lost in Bristol Virginia with College Closure
- Bristol Metals fires 290 Workers
- 240 Phony Jobs and Corporate Welfare for Heritage Glass
- Bristol Raising Property Taxes to Pay for Corporate Welfare
- Caterpillar Plant Closure Costs Pulaski County 240 Jobs
- Arch Coal Fires Another 213 Workers - It's the tip of the Iceberg
- High Cost of the Non-Profits Industry
Updated Sep. 2017
- Christianity 101 Revealed
- Debunking the Khazar Jews Anglo-Saxon Israel Myth
- Why Jews Are Not a Race
- Questions on Christian Anti-Semitism
- Islam's History of Anti-Semitism
- Christian Identity A Religion for White Racists
- Christian Identity Dogma of Hate
- Christian Identity History of Hate, Irrationalism
- Debunking Islamophobia
- Bernard Lewis Window on Islam
- Bernard Lewis Understanding Islam
- Bernard Lewis Roots of Muslim Rage Part 1
- Bernard Lewis Roots of Muslim Rage Part 2
- Fear of Islam is not Islamophobia
- Europeans Victims of (Muslim) Colonialism
- Deist Examination of Islamic Trinity
- Mohammed the Man as Islamic Ideology
- Why Muslims Can't Build a Lightbulb
- Bacon is not a Hate Crime
- Jesus the Man
- Apostle Paul Founder of Christianity
- Why we should know John Calvin
- Egyptian-Christian Connection
- Judaism Meets Zoroastrianism
- Judaism Meets Hellenism and the Logos
- Pelagius Why He Was Right
- Saint Augustine Introduction
- Saint Augustine His Christian World View by Lewis Loflin
- Criticism of St. Augustine
- St. Augustine and Evolution
- Growth Industry in Tri-Cities
- Note the following reports require Acrobat reader:
- Washington County Virginia Community Profile
- Smyth County Virginia Community Profile
When it comes to arrogance, power, and lack of accountability, journalists are probably the only people on the planet who make lawyers look good. -- Steve Brill
Rod Dreher, a senior editor at The American Conservative to quote on "mainstream journalists",
"The people who run American journalism, and who staff the newsrooms, think of themselves as sophisticated, cosmopolitan, and, culturally speaking, on the right side of history... (are) interested in every kind of diversity, except the kind that would challenge their own prejudices. Those include, bigotry against conservative religion, bigotry against rural folks and bigotry against working-class and poor white people."
Ref. Oct. 18, 2016 The Post-Trump Media by James Taranto WSJ
Quote: "A free press is bad news for corruption." Today with much of the press owned by radical oligarchs such as Warren Buffett, Jeff Bezos, and Carlos Slim, we have no free press.
Chomsky penned the idea of the "propaganda model" in 1988. The Podesta emails release proved just how the press has been compromised. To quote,
"The media serve, and propagandize on behalf of, the powerful societal interests that control and finance them. The representatives of these interests have important agendas and principles that they want to advance, and they are well positioned to shape and constrain media policy." -Chomsky
What is yellow journalism?
Yellow journalism, or the yellow press, is a type of journalism that presents little or no legitimate well-researched news and instead uses eye-catching headlines to sell more newspapers. Techniques may include exaggerations of news events, scandal-mongering, or sensationalism. By extension, the term yellow journalism is used today as a pejorative to decry any journalism that treats news in an unprofessional or unethical fashion. - Wiki
Propaganda - noun.
1. information, ideas, or rumors deliberately spread widely to help or harm a person, group, movement, institution, nation, etc.
2. the deliberate spreading of such information, rumors, etc.
My definition: Political correctness - moralistic sounding censorship and suppression of free speech from cowards in the media and government used to control the conversation and exclude anyone that dares to question anything the elites and the press corporatist bosses perceive as a threat.
Political correctness as censorship and policy. Editor Jim Maxwell of the Bristol Herald Courier, who is also white, says, "Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of this newspaper staff and management. In support of the First Amendment right of free speech...publisher reserves the right to reject (censor) any submission." Then who the heck is responsible for what goes in your newspaper? Total weasel words Mr. Maxwell.
- Wholesale Plant Nursery Receives $8 Million for Energy Research
- No It's Not 250 New Jobs in Grayson County Virginia
- 2008 Remote Area Medical in Wise in Pictures
- Crony Capitalism Comes to Wise County
- Pinnacle Wood Products Follies in Wise County
- Obscene Electrolux Incentive Deal Puts Tennessee at Risk
- Tobacco Commission Sykes Fiasco
- Cost of Wise Inn Fiasco Soares to $12 Million
In general "Red" states and Southwest Virginia and East Tennessee are very "Red" we have a high standard of living for the most even with lower earned income levels. To quote a study from the King Institute for Regional Economic Studies:
"The most troubling aspect of the Southwest Virginia economy is the decline in earned income in recent years. Real earned income fell 17 percent from 2011 to 2014. This is a direct result of declining production and employment in the coal mining sector. Due to the sharp drop in earned income, residents in Southwest Virginia received 72 cents in government transfer payments for every dollar of earned income in 2014. Comparable values for the TriCities and the U.S. are 49 cents and 27 cents, respectively."
With all of this why did Trump get as much as 75% of the votes in this and other similar regions? See Red States Higher Standard of Living
See the full King Institute for Regional Economic Studies Report.
UPDATED: Hobby Lobby pulls plan for Bristol, Virginia location.
BRISTOL, Va. — Hobby Lobby has pulled plans to open a store in Bristol, Virginia, but a spokesman for Publix said Friday that the grocery chain remains committed to opening a store in the city.
There's already a Hobby Lobby 18 miles away in Kingsport.
- Tri-Cities Labor Market Report 2011 & 2016
- Taxpayer Funds Wasted To Renovate St. Paul Hotel
- Gov. McAuliffe Clueless on Jobs But Not Pork
- Holding Press Accountable Protects Freedom of Speech
- ARC Virginia Grants Pork and Salaries 2015-16
- Captive Virginia Press Peddles Racism, Propaganda
- Links to Various Political and Religious Topics
- Local Added/Updated June 2017
- 30 Years of Failure in Southwest Virginia
- Exide to Rehire 40 Bristol Workers - Not After All
- Disability Still Big Business 2017 in Southwest Virginia
- Bristol Herald Courier Reprints Racist Lies
- Bristol Virginia Loses More Retail
- Bristol Trainstation 2017 Still Producing Nothing
- Appalachian Regional Commission a Waste
- Address Corporate Culture Before Handing Out Money
Welcome to my website as 2017 makes this my 19th year on the web and have lived in Tri-Cities Bristol since 1984. Oddly this website was started to protest political corruption and poverty in the community, but most of the visitors prefer the religious-historical material over politics. Not that I blame them with the way things run in this country.
- Added Nov. 2016:
- Bristol Herald Courier Corporate Propaganda Mill
- Yellow Press Lies About Mexicans
- Political Correctness Attacks Science
- Why Emory & Henry College Sucks
- Diversity and Multiculturalism The New Racism
- ACLU Right For Once in Tennessee - Free Tristan Rettke
- Donald Trump Bans Yellow Press
- Nuclear Power Green and Affordable
- National Press Abusing the 1st Amendment Press Protections
- Liberal Press Hates Working-Class and Poor Whites
- Stereotyping and Racism by the Yellow Press
- Yellow Press Promotes Anti-Semitism Lie
- Bristol Herald Courier Inciting Violence?
- Tri-Cities Bristol Workers Adjusted Out of Their Jobs
- Governor McAuliffe Waste, Hypocrisy
- $350,000 Wasted on Passenger Rail Study
- Crime, Vagrancy, Homelessness Dominate Bristol
- Opportunities Available Through Workforce Training
- Red States Higher Standard of Living
- Appalachian Regional Commission Government Waste
- Virginia's Illegal Alien Underground Labor Force
- Arizona Schools Struggle with Immigration Chaos
- How Mass Immigration Hurts Black Workers
- President Obama and Silicon Valley Oligarchs Destroy Tech Workers
- Rich White Democrats Screwing Millennials in New York City
- India's Visa Fraud Worker Replacement Racket
- Why All Illegal Aliens Must Be Deported
- Florida Schools Struggle with Failing Minority Students
- Intelligence, Crime, and Tampa Florida
- New York City Sanctions Immigration Fraud, Crime
- Johnson City Tennessee Arrests December 2016
- Johnson City Tennessee Arrests October 2016
- Johnson City Tennessee Arrests June 2016
Another $350,000 Wasted on Passenger Rail Study
The Bristol Train Station was a worthless project costing taxpayers $6 million and ten years to renovate. Finished in 2008 it has produced nothing of value in either jobs or economic development. They have been lobbying for years to get AMTRAK to come to Bristol, itself a massive waste of tax dollars.
In 2016 the Appalachian Regional (pork and waste) Commission has awarded another $100,000 to be combined with $250,000 from the Virginia Tobacco Region Revitalization Commission the gold standard in government waste for a "viability" study to bring trains to Bristol. To quote the local press April 17, 2016:
A new $100,000 grant from the Appalachian Regional Commission nearly completes the funding needed for the city’s passenger rail viability study. The grant was one of 13 totaling $3.3 million that Gov. Terry McAuliffe announced Monday. It will be combined with a $250,000 grant received last year from the Virginia Tobacco Region Revitalization Commission to help fund a study about bringing Amtrak rail service from Roanoke to Bristol and possibly linking to cities in Tennessee, Georgia and Kentucky, according to Assistant City Manager Andrew Trivette.
You mean they never did a viability study BEFORE they spent $6 million on the old train station? They did this study before and it went nowhere. This is why Bristol and Southwest Virginia have the lowest incomes and ranks at the bottom of nearly economic statistic in Virginia and Tennessee. Nearly a billion dollars in various infrastructure and economic development projects has seen the region hemorrhage population with government transfer payments forming over 50% of the region's economy.
Blast from the past:
- Bristol Trainstation Finally Opens Producing Nothing
- History of the Bristol Trainstation
- Millions in Government Waste on the Bristol Trainstation
- Bristol Trainstation Fiasco
Governor McAuliffe Fraud and Hypocrite
Here is just the most recent nonsense that in the past hasn't produced stable jobs paying a living wage or no jobs at all to the general public - just those in the government grant money stream.
Often these dubious projects get multiple grants funding using one grant to leverage another grant. In this way a select few can funnel millions into their pet projects and keep the public out of the process.
Government is most of the economy in this region which is riddled with corruption, graft, and class warfare. A legion of consultants, non-profits, and contractors rake in millions delivering little to the average citizen. They have their economy, others work fast food or receive SSI.
And what of the $3.3 million in ARC grants pilfered by Governor Terry McAuliffe and associates? A press release by the good Gov. April 18, 2016 noted these valuable efforts at diversifying the failed Appalachian economy:
Big Stone Gap Visitors Center $85,931 - like the Trail of the Lonesome Pine outdoor drama and the Coal Museum this has been here in one form or another for years and has produced nothing.
Blue Ridge Center for Chinese Medicine - Appalachian Medicinal Herb Growers Consortium – Phase II: Processing herbs and adding more farmers $125,930. You have to be kidding me - Chinese herbs?? This is complete nonsense like the $650,000 farmers market in Abingdon that's open one day a week. Total waste.
Henry County Bassett Historic Train Depot Restoration Project $500,000. Another useless train station that needs to be torn down and will like Bristol produce nothing. Been around for years and has produced nothing. But that is just beginning of this massive level of waste in Henry County:
Future phases will include more streetscape and façade improvements, trail links and the creation of venues to attract tourists in Bassett and Fieldale and signs in Stanleytown and Koehler.
In addition to the $700,000 Community Development Block Grant, additional funding for the first phase will be sought from other state and federal sources, community partners and area businesses.
The preliminary cost estimates for the entire $12.9 million revitalization improvements are: $7.6 million for Bassett, $4.9 million for Fieldale, $300,000 for Stanleytown and $15,000 for Koehler.
Hell this is costing even more than Bristol did.
Mountain Empire Community College Healthcare Simulation Access $100,000. Pork and a lucrative contract for the right people. This is in addition to a $72,309 grant from the Tobacco Commission - zero jobs for the general public again.
Town of Damascus Downtown Waterfront Asset Development $499,908. Total waste and pork. This is the same town the pilfered transportation and economic development grants to pay for a new library - where's the jobs? It's "transportation" due to a brochure rack near the door.
The Barter Foundation Inc. Expanding the Production Capacity of Barter Theater – Phase II $500,000. High class entertainment for the local wealthy and elite. This non-profit has been bailed out for years with economic development grants while those that were supposed to get a job can't afford to go there.
The Crooked (Money) Road Expanding the Crooked (Money) Road Brand $250,000. They've wasted millions on this worthless project already and can't produce a shred of proof of any job creation, etc. I asked for proof and they refuse to supply it. They won't even produce their IRS paperwork as required by law. This is more consulting and marketing income for a select few and has gone on for years. When do the working poor get a job?
Scott County, Advanced Manufacturing Center of Excellence – Duffield Satellite $142,937. This again is a few professional jobs for the selected few. We've had an identical center in Abingdon for several years wasting $4 million with nothing to show for it. The idea was to train people for non-existent jobs as a way to hopefully lure in jobs. Does that make sense?
New River Valley Regional Commission Old School Food Center at Prices Fork $500,000. They also got another $2.5 million for this insanity:
...converts the former classrooms of the old Prices Fork Elementary School into 16 two bedroom apartments, with 10 affordable and six market-rate units for people 55 and older. Phase I is funded in part with state and local HOME funds.
The second phase, which includes VCI funding as well as $500,000 in Appalachian Regional Commission funding, includes two components: (1) the Old School Food Center, which will provide innovative economic development opportunities for new or expanding local food-based entrepreneurs through the creation of a commercial incubator kitchen, farm-to-table restaurant, retail market, craft brewery and business competition with support services, and, (2) 16 new apartments with a mix of affordable and market rate units.
Would any serious private sector firm dare invest in such nonsense? They threw in the restaurant nonsense to qualify for economic development grants. And I thought Chinese herb farming was complete nonsense now I've heard it all.
Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development Planning Grants $122,625 - more consulting fees for the same select few.
This weekend (July 23) former Gov. Tim Kaine did years ago at Remote Area Medical in Wise, Virginia bitching about government healthcare - as he oversees millions in this kind of pork and waste that could have gone to help citizens that are not getting jobs and are in great need of dental care, etc. Medicaid and Medicare doesn't cover dental and most of the people at RAM are there for dental care because they lack the income to afford insurance. But I'm sure Chinese herbs will fix that problem right up.
Sprint Stabs Bristol Workers in the Back - Again
Update May 2016: they lied again. The promised 600 new jobs never materialized and by February 2016 the 444 people that were mainly transferred from Bristol Virginia are fired. Millions in corporate welfare to pay for the relocation went down the toilet and millions more will bring in another call center to rehire the same workers. Read more...
Update May 20, 2016 - 12 workers fired at Emory & Henry College due to "restructuring". This comes after weeks of hysterical hell raising by 200 poor little cupcakes (students) over "safe spaces" and demands for more "diversity" racism. This was over some bogus and unproven claims of widespread racism. Some vague claims about "racist graffiti spotted at a brick seating area...the incidents prove that while E&H is a diverse campus it lacks inclusivity, leaving minority students to feel marginalized."
Reports are unspecific as to what the incidents are and I believe overblown. Mere criticism of Islamic violence or a Donald Trump yard sign have been cited as racist on many college campuses. in a region with massive white working class poverty the only concern these little brats show is how coal mining leads to climate change and the industry needs to be shutdown - ditto concern for jobs losses and poverty.
Many nonsense liberal art degrees offered by this college are worthless in the real world. Many are left buried in debt. See College Job Unemployment Chart. In particular over half of humanities majors which is the mainstay of E&H are unemployed or flipping burgers.
That brings outright jobs losses in Bristol-Washington County 362 for May 2016 in the community, but not the slightest show of concern at Emory & Henry College.
Update July 2016: Here we go again another 180 layoffs May-July 2016. See the following:
- Bristol Virginia Washington County loses 362 jobs May 2016
- Bristol Compressors Cuts Another 250 Jobs
- Bristol Compressors More Corporate Welfare 2015?
- How Bristol Compressors Came Back from Brink