Black Gang Executes Two Men in Candle Shop in Kingsport
compiled by Lewis Loflin
Jawaune Massey and Leslie Ware Jr. are charged with capital murder in the 2005 double-murder at a Kingsport candle store. They each face the death penalty. They are accused of killing Jeffrin Nolan and Terrance Alexander with a single gunshot to the back of each victim's head during a drug-motivated robbery of Nolan's Sole candle shop. This occured on Nov. 18, 2005. Nolan died at the scene, while Alexander died in the hospital several days later.
Witnesses told investigators that just prior to the shooting two vehicles with at least one black female and several black males was parked near the candle shop. Several black men emerged from the vehicles prior to the execution.
Besides Jawaune Massey and Leslie Ware Jr. who are going on trial for capital murder:
Rita Massey, 26, was arrested (in 2007) on charges of criminal conspiracy to possess more than 26 grams of cocaine with the intent to sell or deliver, possession of over 26 grams of cocaine for resale, and maintaining a dwelling where controlled substances are used or sold. She is the sister of one of the murder suspects.
Osheen DeYoung Massey, aka Rah, two counts of first-degree premeditated murder, two counts of first-degree felony murder, especially aggravated robbery, and criminal conspiracy to commit aggravated robbery.
Clyde Green, two counts of first-degree premeditated murder, two counts of first-degree felony murder, especially aggravated robbery, and criminal conspiracy to commit aggravated robbery.
Octavia Brooks-Wilson, two counts of first-degree murder.
Brian Beco, accessory after the fact.
Crystal Arnold, accessory after the fact.
The rest of the gang "have pleaded guilty to various charges" and most have agreed to testify for the prosecution. Osheene Massey pleaded guilty to a laundry list of charges in Sep. 2009 and was sentenced to more than 30 years in prison.
According to several co-defendants, Osheene Massey met Nolan in jail and arranged to purchase cocaine from him on a regular basis. He started up a drug operation in Johnson City, then relocated everyone but his half-brother to 404 Holly Point, Piney Flats. Jawaune Massey wasn't allowed to live there because of an alleged cocaine addiction.
According to co-defendant Clyde Green, on the day Nolan and Alexander were shot and killed, Osheene Massey and his co-conspirators allegedly had planned to buy some cocaine and then rob them. Green told prosecutors that Osheene Massey and Ware allegedly were discussing the plans about a week before the robbery and agreed "Ebu" (Nolan) should die because he'd been "snitching."
Ware and Jawaune Massey told the group what they did after leaving the store the day of the shootings, Green alleged. Massey was on the lam for several years before being captured by U.S. Marshals in Baltimore, Maryland last year.
Massey entered not guilty pleas to two counts each of premeditated first-degree and felony murder, and especially aggravated robbery, criminal conspiracy to commit aggravated robbery, criminal conspiracy to possess more than 26 grams of cocaine with intent to sell or deliver, possession of over 26 grams of cocaine for resale, and maintaining a dwelling where controlled substances are used or sold.
The above are extracts from the Kingsport Times-News in 2007, 2009, and 2010.
On July 8, 2011 TV news reports:
Attorneys went over three motions this afternoon:
1. The Ware defense wants an independent ballistics expert to review shell casings collected at the crime scene.
2. The Ware defense wants to bar one of the witnesses from identifying their client.
3. The Massey defense wants to strike the death notice.
Massey's defense had their client evaluated by a pair of psychologists and found he meets the criteria for mental retardation. One of those doctors gave Massey an I.Q. score of 63. A death notice means they want to use that information during the penalty phase -- if the prosecution proves Massey guilty of first-degree murder.
And the games go on.
- Whale Fossils Unlock the History of the North
- Part 1: Climate Change and the Fall of the Late Roman Empire
- Part 2:Climate Change and the End of the Vikings in Greenland
- Part 3: Climate Change and the Lost Colony of Roanoke Island
- The Cooling World Hysteria of 1976
- More Trouble at Springdale Village Apartments in Bristol, VA
- 43 People Arrested/Indicted for Drugs Spend Thanksgiving in Jail
- Feral Black Male Carjacks Pizza Delivery Drivers, Sentenced to 57 Years
- Another feral Black Male sentenced for drug trafficking in East Tennessee
- Crime both violent and stupid:
- Drug Arrests Explode Across Kingsport-Bristol
- Residents Live in Fear: The Annie Smith Murder
- The Oadis White Serial Murders in Bristol
- Black Gang Executes Two Men in Candle Shop in Kingsport
- The Derick Kesse Murder in Kingsport
- Black Male Abducts Three Children and other Crimes 2011
- Drug Arrests Explode Across Kingsport-Bristol in 2008
- White Male Caught with His Pants Down
- A 911 Call for a Cheeseburger Leads to Two Arrests
If using this material on another site, please provide a link back to my site.